Additional K/D II Application Guides
- Excel-Coat Primer
- Excel-Coat Patching Compound
- Excel-Crete K/D
- Excel-Crete Tinted Additive
- Excel-Crete Retarder
- Excel-Coat K/D Color Sealer, Excel-Coat Glaze or Excel-Coat Clear Top Coat
- Urethane Sealant
- Epoxy Crack Repair Material
- Razor Knife
- Wallboard Scraper
- Roller Frame
- Roller Sleeves
- 4" Paint Brush
- Drill Motor
- Drill Mixing Attachment
- Air Compressor
- Hopper Gun
- Caulking Gun
- Caulking Knife
- Concrete shall be cured a minimum of 28 days prior to installation of the Excel-Coat K/D System.
- Curing shall be by means of water cure or dissipating compounds. Curing compounds shall be approved by an authorized representative of Excellent Coatings International.
- Concrete moisture content shall not exceed 10%. Moisture Vapor Transmission shall not exceed 5 lbs. per 1,000 square feet per 24 hours.
- Check surface for excessive roughness, voids, protrusions or exposed aggregate and treat appropriately.
- All tooled and control joints shall be caulked with a urethane sealant. Moving structural cracks shall be routed, primed and filled with epoxy crack repair material.
- Concrete surfaces shall be clean and free from dirt, grease, paint or coating.
- Concrete finish shall be power metal float followed by a light steel trowel and medium hair broom finish or equivalent.
Do not apply over non-structural lightweight concrete without prior written approval.
- Plywood surfaces shall meet criteria set forth for the Excel-Coat Fire System. The lath, Crete, and membrane must be installed prior to applying the grout coat. No primer is needed for applying over the Excel-Coat membrane.
PRIMER COATS (Required for Concrete)
- Primer shall cover the entire surface that is to be coated.
- Apply Excel-Coat primer at a rate of 350 square feet per gallon.
- When primer becomes tacky, start the application process.
Primer coat is not necessary over an Excel-Coat membrane. K/D materials may be applied directly over Excel-Coat Pedestrian Traffic membrane over concrete or as a finish to the Fire System. Membrane surface shall be clean and dry.
- Combine 1 bag of Excel-Crete K/D with 1-1/4 — 1-3/4 gallons of Excel-Crete Tinted Additive. Smaller batches may be made using same mix ratio.
- With a drill motor and mixing attachment, blend the two components until an even consistency is achieved (approximately 3-4 minutes).
For warm weather applications use the Excel-Crete Retarder to slow down the curing process of the Excel-Crete K/D. This may improve the ease of trowelling and spraying the Excel-Crete K/D material. Refer to the “Product Data” section for the Excel-Crete Retarder Data Sheet.
- Apply evenly with a trowel to achieve a smooth, uniform surface.
- Coverage should be approximately 100-125 square feet per bag mixed with 1½ - 2 gallons Tinted Additive.
- Allow material to dry approximately 2-6 hours. Dry times may vary.
If a patterned finished is desired, refer to specific Excel-Coat K/D II Application Guides for Tape & Trowel; Tape, Trowel & Skin; and Stamping applications.
- With a drill motor and a mixing attachment, mix 1 bag of Excel-Crete K/D (half bag at a time) with 1½ gallons of Excel-Crete Tinted Additive.
- Continue mixing until both parts are thoroughly combined and a uniform consistency is achieved (approximately 3-4 minutes).
- Always measure and remain consistent with mixing ratios of Excel-Crete and Tinted Additive to ensure color consistency.
APPLICATION (w/ HOPPER):
- With tape and paper, mask off walls, railings, sliding doors, etc.
- Set the air pressure on the hopper gun between 6-15 pounds per square inch (the higher the pressure, the smaller the texture).
- Starting with the perimeter of the deck, apply Excel-Crete K/D texture at a rate of approximately 125 square feet per batch. Move the pattern pistol as evenly as possible to create a uniform spray and texture.
- For a Knock-Down finish, follow the texture application with a steel-finishing trowel. For best results, allow the texture to begin to dry (1-15 minutes) before knocking down.
- Allow 24 hours to dry. Dry times may vary.
Add Excel-Crete Retarder to mix for spraying texture to extend cure time and improve workability.
If tape or templates are being used with this Knock Down procedure, remove pattern template/tape once texture coat has completely dried.
- With a wallboard scraper, lightly scrape off any irregularities in the texture.
- To achieve a smoother texture, a honing stone may be used over the textured surface before sealing.
- Use a blower to clean the deck surface of any dirt or debris.
- With a 4" brush, apply Excel-Coat K/D Color Sealer, Excel-Coat Glaze or Excel-Coat Clear Top Coat around the perimeter of the deck and drains. The material should cover all flashing at the walls, doorjambs and fascia edges.
- Apply two thin coats of Excel-Coat K/D Color Sealer, Excel-Coat Glaze or Excel-Coat Clear Top Coat by roller or airless sprayer at a rate of 250 square feet per gallon per coat, for a net yield of 125 square feet per gallon total coverage.
- Allow 4 hours to dry before applying the second coat.
- Allow completed system to cure 24 hours before heavy foot traffic is permitted and an additional 72 hours before heavy objects are placed on the surface.
Cold or inclement weather will effect the cure time of all Excel-Coat K/D System products. Do not install over wet substrate, in the rain or if the threat of rain exists within 24 hours.
To insure uniformity of color, drill mix tinted additive before use. Always measure and maintain mix ratio of Excel-Crete Powder to Tinted Additive.